Thursday, May 17, 2012

Failure

Well I've been thinking about the reception and 'impact' of Anywhere but Earth which I published via coeur de lion publishing in November last year. And I have to admit that despite loving that book and having three stories shortlisted in the Aurealis Awards for SF short story (one of which won - thanks Rob!), ABE has been a bit of a failure. Of course I didn't expect to make money out of the book, so I wasn't particularly looking for commercial success. But critically, I think it's fair to say it has failed. ABE failed to make the shortlist in the anthology section of the Aurealis Awards. It failed to make any shortlist - short story, collection or otherwise - in the Ditmar Awards. It hasn't been listed in any other awards that I know of. Despite sending advance copies to reviewers at Locus, ASIF,  and SF review sites and magazines here and overseas, no-one has gauged  its content or anything else about it  worthy of review. We've had some great feedback from readers on Goodreads, but that, and the short story award have been blips in what, on the whole, has been a whistling downward trajectory into independent publishing oblivion.
Post a Comment