Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Next Big Thing - The Way of The Kresh

The next big thing is a series of tag team blog posts by writers about their next novel, whether about to be published or 'in development'. Horror/ Fantasy/ YA/ Steampunk author extraordinaire Richard Harland graciously tagged me, so here's my contribution to the great Next Big Thing chain letter.


1) What is the [working] title of your next book?
The next book is actually two books, and an idea for the third. The working title of the trilogy is The Kresh War with book one titled The Way of The Kresh.

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?
I had a flash of an image on the way home on the tram from the Aurealis Awards in 1999. Yes, it's been a long time coming, this novel. The image was of humans holding down an alien on a table and cutting off a vital organ. That sowed the seed for what has become a big space opera wrapped around my central character's personal crusade.

3) What genre does your book fall under?
Science fiction! :)

4) What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
I have two central characters. One is a hotheaded young Earthman who I see as a young Christian Slater.
My main character would be in heavy make-up and possibly CGI'd 'cos he looks like this:

But I think he could be voiced by Sean Bean or Liam Neeson. He suffers a lot but has tremendous inner strength, so that seems to fit.

5) What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Mutilated by humans and cast out by his own people, one alien battles to throw off the yolk of human invasion and free his world.

6) Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Well, it would be nice to get a book deal but the traditional model of publishing seems to be imploding right now, so if all else fails I'll do it myself.

7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
The two books actually grew out of a series of short stories I wrote in the early 2000s. Since then I've been playing with it off and on and finally finished a first draft of both books last year for a total word count of 170,000. This year I've been busy with publishing work, so 2013 will see a concerted effort to produce a polished draft.

8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Books and other things. My main alien character has a definite 'Babylon 5 G'Kar' feel to him: great suffering, linked with indomitable strength and purpose. In terms of depicting multiple alien races and convincing spaceflight and space battles, I think it also shares something in common with CJ Cherryh's Chanur books. There are many other influences and homages from Asimov to Niven. 

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?
I've been writing since my early teens and I can't seem to stop. Not sure where it came from  but I just write - not 'for' anyone or anything other than myself.

10) What else about the book might pique the reader's interest?
Realistic portrayal of an alien society with quite a different orientation from our own, lots of action and excitement and a broader moral and ethical canvas that underpins all that.

Okay, time to tag someone else. I've put the call out through this blog and to a heap of authors I know, but it seems most of them have already been tagged or aren't in a position to contribute.  I couldn't quite scrape together five, but these four have some quality writing in store for you, so next up, on Wednesday 19 December: Rjurik DavidsonTalie Helene and Micheal Planck.
Post a Comment